Strategy is all about choices. When it comes to growing a product, think in terms of which usecases, segments, or dimensions your product can dominate.
Let’s take ridehailing for example.
- Use case domination: School commute, weekend mall trips, work commute, random errands..
- User segment based on behavior domination: Promo hunter, value seeker, premium business users..
- Dimension domination: Speed, safety, price..
- Region domination: Tier 1 cities, tier 2 cities, suburbs..
- User group based on age and gender domination: Genz, working moms, college kids..
- Time of the day domination: commute hours, late night..
- Distance domination: <5kms, >5 kms, >20 kms..
- Place of interest domation: Airports, malls, bus stops, railways..
There are many other groupings. The list above is not MECE complete, but a good starting point.
For a case study, refer to this thread on how Doordash became the dominant food delivery platform in the US by focusing on the right segments.