I gave the following prompt to PMs during our last week’s PM learning session:
Check your phone. What is the app that you think is least known: high chance people won’t have it, but something you use often and love.
Take 5 mins to form your thoughts around the following questions.
Then answer the following:
- Why did you decide to use this app? (50 secs)
- What need does it fulfill?
- How long have you been using this app? (10 secs)
- If you had to tell someone about this app, how would you explain what it does in one line? (30 secs)
- We are trying to understand its positioning. See if how you described the app is the same way the developer describes the app.
- How is this app/company differentiating itself? (1 min)
- What do you think is different about this app/product/company which sets it apart from other apps in the category?
- What do you think is the one obvious/ big thing missing from this app? (1 min)
- Why do you think the dev has not built it yet?
This exercise takes roughly 3.5 minutes to complete. It can be an interesting PM interview question too.
Related read: Product Critique.
Stay up to date with my latest posts/tweets here: @manas_saloi